Incredible Moments Witnessed at the May 5th Opportunity Fair.
Youth were bursting with pride after receiving offers, trying on suits, or making their first latte. They shared their voice with CEOs, including Howard Schultz from Starbucks. They were inspired by Marshawn Lynch and young leaders whose story of perseverance touched all. Watch a video recap for the event here!
1,500 Opportunity Youth and 300 parents, caseworkers, and other caregivers attend the Seattle Opportunity Fair. Nineteen 100,000 Opportunities Coalition companies conducted more than 1,300 interviews and made 700 on the spot job offers!
In addition to these results, there are additional indicators that illustrate the impact of the crafted experiences powered by 30+ community based organizations and coalition companies. Those include:
- Hundreds of youth worked on their resumes and completed job applications under the support of countless resume coaches and application expert volunteers
- 500+ youth participated in Find Your Fit by Nordstrom and Goodwill and were able to attend their interviews in style and prepared
- 400 youth learned the power of the tie at Macy’s Power Tie
- 300 youth were styled by JC Penney and Sephora and got head shots and created new LinkedIn profiles and rocked out their existing profiles – more than double any fair to date!
- 200 youth built their confidence in artfully orchestrated practice interviews led by the United Way
- 200+ youth received information on commuting resources for their new jobs and 30 got free and reduced fare public transportation passes on the spot!
- 100+ youth registered to vote
- 250 youth learned more about banking and financial resources
- 50 youth explored high school re-engagement options and 15 got referred to new programs on the spot
- 40 youth received learned more about how to manage a record, 14 youth got specific information on their records, and 2 youth had motions prepared to seal juvenile records and scheduled a court hearing
- 22 youth took a food handling class, passed the food handler permit test, and got a their permit – for free!
We are thrilled about these results! The best part is that the work of the 100,000 Opportunities Initiative is just getting started!